More than anything, I wanted this wall of text to survive. It is monumental in its FAIL.
Update-OK, a little more background for those not familiar with the subject matter:
First, DC Universe Online launched 1/11/11, if my memory serves. At the time of this writing, it has been live for about 5 weeks, an infant of an MMO game. There were a few glitches, particularly an issue (an exploit) that caused cheaters to basically be invincible in "player vs. player" play. Not good.
On 2/22/11, a large patch was released that fixed a lot of these issues (including the cheat), and included a lot of new content (a new raid, new duo, an auction hall, etc.), however, the patch caused a glitch. Screenshots were disabled, and there were two instances where the end boss would spawn twice (a no gooder, unless you can take 'em!). A hotfix is scheduled to fix these as of 3/1/11.
Now, rational minded individuals see this and might feel that the game company is taking seemingly normal adequate steps to addressing particular issues. I personally feel a two week turn around for a hotfix is pretty darn quick!
However, there is this loud and obnoxious subculture within the MMO community. I often refer to it as something like "The Hydra of Entitlement Dysfunction and End Times Paranoia". They are a squawking, writhing mass of unwashed humanity that screams DOOM! at the first hint of any fault or glitch whatsoever with an MMO video game. Not only do they feel compelled to be aggressive doomsaying fortune tellers, there are a few things that all "MUST*" axiomatically accept about their point of view (*assuming you are willing to abandon all reason and intellect):
- First and foremost, these people LOVE THE GAME MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, and they want it to succeed more than anyone else because they LLLLUUUUURRRRVVVE it soooooooooooooooooo much!
- Their loyalty to the game is UNQUESTIONED! If a critical remark of the game is made, it is because of the pervasive abuse at the hands of the gaming company.
- They know what is best for the game better than anyone else!
- They know what is needed for the game better than anyone else!
- They have played EVERY MMO and have seen GREAT MMOs DIE because of the EXACT SAME ISSUES!
- Their MMO background and experience is UNQUESTIONED!
- They have never programmed video games (some have even listed HTML and Java as coding experience), BUT THEY KNOW fixes don't take so long to prepare!
- The game they are currently playing is the game with THE WORST customer service they have EVER experienced, and this is UNQUESTIONED!
Well, all of this and more will become apparent to you as you go on to read the most hyperbolically exaggerated version of all these key notes and more in the most epic fail of a forum post created by a person that subscribed to the game for the sole purpose of making this post on their forums. Happy reading!
SoE/SOE-Sony Online Entertainment (parent company of DCUO)
DCUO-DC Universe Online
WoW/WOW-World of Warcraft (no good Hydra can post without revering their God, WoW)
PVP/PVE-player vs. player, player vs. environment (environment being automated computer "bad guys")
(This is an untouched copy and paste of a post from the DCUO forums, 2/24/2011.)
Here's a few quick points if you dont feel like reading my book. Im not a hater, I enjoy the game. Im expressing concern.
- Low population is dangerous to an mmo.
- Stop defending SoE, they are here to please you, not the other way around. Open your eyes. They arent doing what they should to address the game. Period. This isnt my first rodeo. Ive seen free to play MMO's and freeshards of former MMO's with better support and these are run by people in their free time.
- The game needs quite a few changes and patches NOW not later.
- SoE needs stronger communication with its player base, we can help you believe it or not and we're paying you to do it.
- Stop worrying about monthly content and get the core working and bugs/exploits fixed NOW.
- You released a game into a competetive mmo market. If you cant compete you shouldn't waste peoples money. Stop letting people say "oh its only been a month give it a break" good point.. Are you ready to release a game into the cage with WoW in the other corner? Because people have expectations now. When we drop money on a game we understand there are going to be some bugs. But these are game breaking.
- The game is amazing at its core but SoE you are neglecting it.
- I feel like there should be daily hotfixes and patches going on right now, not month long exploit neglect to release a valentines day patch a week late. You're letting the game cave in on itself.
- If you cant handle releasing a game on two platforms you shouldnt have done it. I feel like this isnt a mistake thats easily made. You should have considered what consequences that was going to have.
- Population is too low at the moment. Consider server merges to keep the people who are still playing happy. Cross server queues ruin pvp rivalry which i feel is going to be important in a game like this.
- Get the game working then we'll worry about content eh?
Ok reading this kind of stuff every day, and readng peoples responses finally sent me over the edge and i had to make an account. I'd like to start off by saying this isnt the first mmo i've played. I have quite a list under my belt. Now on to the fun stuff.
I think there are honest posts, and I think there are childish posts. People are going to have OPINONS about the game no matter what. People should be able to freely express their opinions provided they are in a non-offensive manner. This however is beside my points im about to make.
I'm sure I speak for a vast majority of people when I say that I am disappointed with the state of this game. Many of you would argue "oh then just leave" or "dont let the door hit you on the way out" or "The game just came out give it a break." These are all fine and dandy responses to peoples frustration but they are missing the point completely. People aren't disappointed because they dont like the game. They are disappointed because they see a jewel of a game being destroyed or neglected.
I personally feel that SoE is neglecting the game. You can't honestly sit here and tell me you believe SoE is trying to address issues by releasing 1 patch since release with all the bugs in the game and lack of content. There should be constant patches being released everytime one bug is fixed. They need to be fixed! Period! It doesn't take a month to fix one bug. Fixing these issues quickly and taking small steps at a time shows a community that you care about your player base and are interested in our feedback and entertainment. I've seen free MMO's or hack servers (free servers from former mmos) that are put up, funded, patched, and have more content added to them at a faster pace and these servers are run off the hosts own money and free time. Their job isnt running their server, its probably working 8-5 then coming home and working on their server for just a few hours. They dont even have the full team nor the resources that SoE has. So please, stop making excuses for SoE. They aren't trying.
I mean it isnt fair to tell people who use their money to purchase a game and pay for subscription fee's and say that they should just go find another game to play. Most of us happen to enjoy the combo system and enjoy the content thats in the game. Which brings me to another point. Now that the mmo genre is established there are going to be some pre-requisites. Customers now have a common knowledge of what makes an mmo enjoyable. People will quit the MMO if they feel things arent going well. People have expectations. It's now left to the Company to compete for a player base! When releasing an MMO now you need to realize you are competing with the established successful MMOs. Therefore there's no room to expect players to stick around while you fix things that are extremely important and are the reason people play the game. Having pvp bugs and exploits when pvp is a strong part of the game is completely absurd. It should have been squashed prior to release. Take a look at rift. That game is extremely polished and well running with tons of content! I think the idea of the game rift is tired and over used but its working. So people need to stop puppy guarding SoE.
THE ONLY thing this game has going for it is its idea. Its completely unique. The combo system, the story line. People have been screaming for something different and amazing! I just dont understand how with all the MMO's out there. SoE as a company hasnt figured out that this game could be legendary. Literally. A total trend breaker and finally a refreshing mmo! I normally hate pve, but this game is amazing in that department. This is the first time ive enjoyed a game this much since i played daoc.
My biggest concern here which i havnt even mentioned yet is population. In just 2 weeks time that I've played the game the populations has declined drastically. I log in anywhere from 4pm to 9pm and its a struggle to get queues to pop. The whole reason of having a queue system is to eliminate the middle ground of trying to put together a group. Low population is bad news for an mmo. You guys can sit around and say oh let the haters hate and the leavers leave but guess what. There are more people that are disappointed and quit then there are that actually play. Which means if the population drops low enough. The promises of new content and conisistent patches go right out the window. SoE directs more of its team to other games. Future games. Thats just business. So I think you be wise to take everyones opinion and consider it rather than disregard it. Take a look at Age of Conan. The game was awesome and i found it extremely fun, but a lot of people didnt and left and the game died for a while. The producer resigned and they brought in a new guy and changed the game around, but it never got as popular as it was before it launched. You cant mention that game without a few people telling you how bad it was.
I also feel that public relations are extremely important to maintaining and running an mmo. You guys need to use your customers feedback. We're paying you. YOu guys are getting paid to read and sift through the whiney rage submissions and sort out the good constructive replies. Take care of your customers and your game will grow.
Message edited by Zimmit16 on 02/24/2011 17:25:14.