Monday, April 26, 2010

Movie review-Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call-New Orleans


I ain't gonna lie, my friends had to talk me off the ledge when I heard there was plans for another Bad Lieutenant movie. That school bus full of kids are grateful that the same friends manage to subdue me with ether when I found out Nic Cage got the lead. I was furious. To me, Harvey Keitel's Bad Lieutenant was untouchable...sacred...and now Wicker Man Nic Cage is going to walk in and period all over it???

Well, never in my life have I been more pleased to say how wrong I was. I had written Nic cage off and had viewed the studio's attempt at riding Keitel's coattails (see what I did there?) as a cheap, slimy trick to make a buck. Dear God, I was so wrong. I am so glad I shed my prejudice and watched this movie, it is amazing.

I give credit where credit is due, Nic Cage came out and fucked his performance into the skull of every viewer. Holy hot damn did that man put on a show! Even though I basically know dick about movies, my instinct says that Cage found himself a director that gets him, and vice versa.

Werner Herzog is a strange fucking dude. I can't rightly say if he is one of them whacked out geniuses or just whacked out, but the man encourages creativity in his movies, and it really shines in Bad Lieutenant. I personally feel this guy really challenged Cage on a level few have been able to reach him at in along time, and that is how we got the performance we did. Simply remarkable.

Also, looking back on the cast, it is simply chock full of ridiculous talent. Eva Mendes (who fucking did FANTASTIC), Val Kilmer, Brad Dourif, Fairuza Balk, Xzibit...it just goes on and on. I mean, I guess it seemed to me that not only was it great that all of this talent was on board, but there were so many characters for the talent to fill out. I was never left wondering, "Who the fuck is this guy and why is he in the fucking movie?"

So, anyway, I could go on and on, but here is the summary of my position in this review:

  • I don't want to reveal anything plot-wise. The story is fucking great and deserves to be...experienced.
  • The acting and the characters are just...*mwa*, spot on.
  • The movie is inspired and creative and I love it.
In closing, I am proud to say I have my Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call-New Orleans DVD sitting proudly next to my old school Bad Lieutenant VHS tape (and now DVD...for longevity's sake). Two excellent, excellent movies with their own legacy.

1 comment:

Erswi said...

How f'n pathetic is it that I haven't seen this yet? Port of Call, that is. The original is a masterpiece.