Thursday, June 19, 2008

Anger Issues Suck

This entry is solely meant as a way for me to express how I am feeling in a small, isolated time-frame in my life.

Anyone that is close to me knows I have anger management/rage issues. It is something I have had psychiatric help on, but that doesn't mean that living with it is easy. Finding ways to cope with anger doesn't mean it magically goes away.

If you don't have anger issues, I am happy for you. I hope you never experience them. Here's why:

  • If you have anger issues, it invariably takes itself out on the people you care about at some point, and in one fashion or another.
  • Your family and friends ask you why you are like "Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde" sometimes.
  • Anger and rage can make you feel more lonely and isolated that depression can.
  • You are powerless from feeling angry, and that can piss you off, and you get angry at yourself for being angry, and it just downward spirals.
  • People look at you like you are fucking crazy if you have an "outbreak".
  • You fucking say shit to people you never would say otherwise.
  • You start hoping that if you destroy what is angering you, the anger will cease.

5 comments:

GumbyTheCat said...

D.H., did psychiatry actually help you deal with your anger control issues, at least to a degree? I've always cast a cynical eye upon psychiatry.

Dirty Hairy said...

Gumby, let me say that in absolutely no uncertain terms that if not for psychiatry and the care I have received in the last decade +, I would be very dead right now.

What I have gone through is not pretty, and psychiatry is no exact science, but if you work it out, you can get your life back.

GumbyTheCat said...

Thanks for letting me know. You have a rep for telling it like it is, so I appreciate your comment. Maybe I should talk to one about my often overwhelming anxiety/stress problem...

Dirty Hairy said...

Gumby, another VERY encouraging thing about psychiatric medicine and treatment are the leaps and bounds it makes over a short period of time.

The medications that are available today opposed to when I was diagnosed with clinical depression 12 years ago are like night and day.

I have been very fortunate to have some very keen and reputable doctors, but as with all doctors, don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion if what they are doing isn't working out.

GumbyTheCat said...

Thanks again D.H.