Friday, January 11, 2008

I was in the newspaper once

One time the student newspaper for the local university interviewed a bunch of kids at my high school in the lawn after school. They were asking "Should gays be allowed int he military?" Keep in mind this was 15 years ago, "Don't ask, don't tell." and all of that.

Now, I live in a really liberal town with a large gay population. In my honest fucking opinion (to this day) I really don't give a shit one way or another about gays in the military. To me it doesn't even fucking matter, for all I care you can make the entire front line gay guys with AIDS and hope the splatter takes out a few enemies in the long term. But really, in my microcosm of an existence, it doesn't fucking matter at all.

So, when the reporter/photographer/student asked me, I said (and was the ONLY one the newspaper reported as saying), "No. I don't think they belong." The greatest thing about it was the instant divide I created in my high school. I either had kids coming up to me cheering and high-fiving, or sneering and whispering, "That's *HIM*, the one that said that shit in the paper..."

This one girl actually confronted me and got all snotty about it how I was a bigot and stuff. The joke was on her, though. I saw her 15 years later smoking while she was pregnant and hauling a 2 gallon jug of cheap wine out of a grocery store. What a bitch!

No comments: